In this example, I have used a single legged carp rod ring to illustrate the process.

1. File down the foot of the ring to give a smooth taper. This is not always necessary but should be carried out if required.

2. Make a nylon loop. In this example I have used yellow Stren 15lb b.s. line to aid clarity in the illustrations.

3. Tape ring in position

4. Start the whipping. The red whipping thread is trapped in position and wound on so that each turn is touching and not over lapping. Note one end of the whipping thread is trapped under the whipping.

5. When the ring is held in position by the thread, the tape is removed.

6 Cut off with a sharp knife the end of the thread trapped under the whipping.

7. Continue with the whipping until about eight turns from the end. Then place the nylon loop in the path of the whipping and whip over it.

8. When the eight whipping turns are completed, cut the working thread leaving about 4 inches over.

9. Place the loose end of the whipping thread in the loop and pull the loop back clear of the whipping. The end of the whipping thread will also be pulled through.

10. Trim the whipping thread to level with the whipping where it has emerged. The whipping process is now complete.

Finishing the whipping

We must now varnish or finish the whipping with an epoxy finish. I now use an epoxy finish to save work and to get a superior result.

1. Gather materials; epoxy resin and hardener, two syringes, quarter inch flat artist's brush, razor knife, egg cup lined with aluminium kitchen foil.

Note. It is critical that equal amounts of resin and hardener are mixed in the egg cup. You must use separate syringes to accurately measure out both resin and hardener. I mix half a ml of both components at a time.

2. Apply mix to whipping. Turn the rod a quarter turn every ten minutes for an hour to avoid any dripping. Then leave overnight to dry. Before applying the second coat use a scalpel to remove any lumps, bumps or hairs. Apply a second coat and go past the whipping by one sixteenth of an inch. Gentle blowing will remove any air bubbles in the resin.

3. Repeat the turning of the rod a quarter of a turn every ten minutes for an hour before leaving it overnight to dry