With sunny skies and warm temperatures I expected to find some carp in the edge where I had been putting bait in over the last two months but there was nothing on the two sandy patches under the overhanging vegetation. When I had found, and caught, carp from these spots during September and earlier in October it had been when I least expected it so perhaps I should have not been too surprised. I went back to the usual area I have been fishing and cast both rods out, the casts now I could do in my sleep and both landed with a satisfying slight thud as they landed on the hard clay lumps I had found amongst the weed. There was a steady wind blowing so I was quite confident

Darkness soon came, with no action but I only had to wait until around 11pm when the rod out in the middle of the lake gave a bleep, the indicator rose to the butt, dropped back down and then the carp tore off. I was on it quickly and connected with a nice weight, the carp shaking its head. Picking up the net I led the carp down the bank to the open bank where I could play it out and net it easier. The carp was soon in the edge and after a nice little fight it rolled into the net. It was a nice chunky dark common weighing 11lb 14oz. I was pleased to see it was well hooked, after my change of hook pattern, after I had pulled out of a few carp. I admired it for a moment I slipped it back.

The wind continued to blow but I had no more action until 4am when the other rod just screamed off. I had a pre-thought out plan about this rod; to take the rod down the bank the other way to where I was casting 40 yards further down the bank from where the rods were. The couple of times I had hooked fish from there before I had lost them trying to lead them back. So with the net on my head I walked down the bank keeping the tension on the carp. When I arrived at the point I wanted to net the carp from, the fight began but I found the carp had kited right round to the bank so I had to force it out of the dying reeds and into the net. It was not surprisingly a small carp; a thin wildie-shaped common weighing a little over 7lb. An hour later I packed up happy with a couple more carp.

I had baited the two margin spots again when I left but when I returned later that afternoon still no carp were visible, so I just went back to the swim and cast both rods out with stringers and a handful of free baits. As dusk fell, a member walked past after packing up saying he had taken a 20lb plus mirror out in the afternoon from further up the lake. I was not surprised as it was still very mild. There were a couple of heavy showers that evening but still I had no action until after dark. There was still a slight breeze when the rod up the bank to the left tore off. I repeated the action from the morning, walking off up the bank with the net on my head. This carp too had kited around to the bank and when I reached the netting spot it was tearing up and down the edge. I suspected another small carp and sure enough it was a stockie common of 9lb odd. It was still early though so I hoped for more action.

The recast was easy with the line clip and I was soon ready again. Just two hours later the same rod was off again but when I picked up the rod I found the carp was pulling back a bit harder and had moved out further into the lake. This meant walking down the bank was easier as the carp just thudded away further out under light pressure. At the spot I wound down and found the carp was three quarters of the way across the lake so I took the fight easy and eventually got it in the edge and in the net. It was another of the 11lb commons, this time a bit smaller than the one from the night before.

I was really happy now and managed to get off to sleep, only to be woken just after 2am when the other rod straight out gave a few bleeps before becoming a one toner. Upon striking I connected with an express train. Immediately I had to give line as a powerful carp tore off through a weed bed and out to the far bank. When I had it under some control I picked up the net and made my way up the bank to the clearer netting area. The carp was still over by the far bank sixty yards away and was chugging up and down, after about ten minutes I had managed to gain some line and it was halfway out when all went solid as it found the big weedbed out there. There was no life through the rod and my heart stopped as I thought I had lost it. I wound down hard and felt a slight thud so I knew it was still on but still it was solid. I let all go slack but still it did not move. Next, I walked another thirty yards up the bank and under slight pressure I pulled the rod a few times. This obviously unsettled the carp as under my next hard pull it came free and charged off out to the right a bit. I played it from that spot then for a few more minutes until I had it only ten yards out and led it back to the net. Now it was in the edge and after a few goes up and down, and a charge-away when it saw the net, finally I netted a big common carp.

My immediate thought was that it was the same fish as the 28lber I had caught earlier in the month but when I looked into the net I found it was a much longer, leaner fish. On the mat I found it was a thickset common with a firm gut in superb condition, it just had one main barbule missing, the hook firmly in its lower lip. It was a real peach and weighed 27lb 7oz, a real result. Under the torchlight I admired it. It behaved perfectly for the photos before I slipped it back and punched the night sky with delight!

It took me a while to calm down and recast and then I just lay there thinking about the fish. It seemed I had only just got asleep when it was nearly time to pack up. I was just thinking about this when the rod off to the left was off again. I struck in to another powerful fish and again when I got down to the netting spot I found the carp was well out in the lake. It felt heavy as I slowly coaxed it back towards me. A few times it took line on the way in but it was soon in the net. It was yet another common, again a long fish, a replica of the 27lber, but a lot smaller at 16lb 5oz, perfect condition though.

What a session! It really was time to go now though so, after slipping it back, I packed up and made my way back to work, thinking I had better do another week on the lake before winter, just in case!

Have fun!