I had read a lot about the place and its various lakes that contain a variety of carp to different sizes. When I arrived the sun was already was well up and several people were already fishing. I had a stroll around the whole complex that contains seven different lakes and only one holding no carp at all. As I passed one chap he was just returning a 17lb carp, he was fishing the method feeder over to a set of reeds. The lakes with the 30lb fish were all deserted and did not look very appealing at all so I returned to the lake near the car park and had a closer look around there.

On the far side I virtually bumped in to a carp right in the edge as it fed away on the bottom near some small lily pads. That was good enough for me so I went to get the gear and when I returned it was clear there were two carp feeding away, billowing up mud. The water certainly was not very deep so I decided to use a small self cocking float with 6 lb line and a piece of bread flake as bait. I flicked this out in to the billowing mud and sat back expectantly. The float did not move but a few minutes later at least one of the carp moved off, a small bow wave accompanying it. I fired out some hemp and waited for it to return. The sun was now quite hot but I was not yet too despondent.

Half hour later evidence that the carp was back appeared when the sparse lily pads started moving and suddenly a carp pushed its head and up to its dorsal through the surface. I was surprised by its size, a dark brown mirror of perhaps 18lb or so. This got me even more excited as mud started billowing again around the float. This time the float just slowly slid away and the water erupted as I struck. A bow wave shot off for the middle of the lake but I managed to hold it from going too far and a slow fight ensued. I did not apply too much pressure, not that I could with 6lb line and a one and a half pound test curve rod. The carp appreciated the lack of pressure from my end and just plodded around, after all, the more you pull, the more they pull back!

Eventually after an exciting five minutes or so I netted a nice mirror, not as big as I thought at 14lb 12oz but great fun. After admiring it and slipping it back I sat back in the sun for an hour or so before again mud started to billow up around the float. This time I had to endure three bites that resulted in nothing but spooked carp; they were probably carp brushing the line in the shallow water. This went on for several hours until suddenly the rod came alive in my hands, I did not even see the float disappear. This carp went off at such a speed I could not stop it and with it 50 yards away the barbless hook pulled out.

I gave up with that swim after that and moved on to one of the specimen lakes. I found a koi carp in the edge, it looked well up for some floaters and indeed took plenty of freebies but try as I might I could not get it to take a hook bait at all. I gave up and went back to the first lake as the sun got lower in the sky and decided to spend the last hour back in the shallow corner where I had started.

The setting sun obviously had made the carp decide to feed more readily as within ten minutes of casting out I hooked, played and landed a nice 8lb common; followed half hour later by one a little smaller. With that I packed up and left.

Certainly an interesting fishery but Iím not sure about the policy of letting the carp grow in 6 out of 7 lakes. There were no small fish in the lakes apart from the Ďno carpí lake that no one was fishing at all and anglers who were pleasure fishing on the lake I fished all had fights with carp that were lost due to line breakage, indeed one guy lost his float as well as for the rest of the day we all could see his float being towed around the lake by the carp he lost, not good for fish or anglers I would have thought.

I spent the day before "the off "sorting through my mess of my tackle bag and putting new line on the reels. Iíve got some new reels, Diawa Bite íní Run ones that look good and solid, I look forward to trying them out. It's nice to see a medium sized reel to compete with the original Shimano Baitrunners. I still have two baitrunners that have stood the test of time, twelve years of all weathers with little maintenance, it will be nice if in twelve years time the Diawa ones are just as good.

Finally, I was at a loose end so could not resist one last trip to the lake I have been fishing all spring but I wished I had not as the first rain for several weeks fell heavily on me and where previously I had had the nights to myself, 4 others decided they would have a go that night and all set up around me. The result was a tiny bream for me and a lost tench. I was glad to leave in the morning.

Have fun!