I was reasonably pleased when I drew peg 132 on the KDAA match at Bewdley. It's the end peg on the match length with loads of room below it to draw fish from. I was told it was a good swim for chub, especially later in the season. I decided to floatfish it with fairly strong tackle which would not only hold chub but also give me a good chance of getting barbel out if I hooked any. I set up two waggler rods, one with four pound Maxima direct and the other with six pound Maxima direct in case I starting connecting a lot of barbel. I fed the swim quite heavily to start with feeding mainly casters and hemp and the occasional pouch of white maggots. After half an hour I connected with my first chub and for the next half-hour I caught freely. Chub from eight ounces to a pound and a half responded to my double and treble maggot offering on sixteen and fourteen Mustad Magnum spade hooks. I reckoned after an hour I'd probably got around ten pounds in the net. With thirty pounds the current target weight for a major prize at Bewdley, it was a good start but the river was gradually getting worse after heavy rain the previous day. (what did I say last week!) As the river continued to rise slowly and colour up a lot, my catch rate went down and down until I was struggling to get any bites at all for the last three hours. My 15.9.0 total was enough for sixth spot on the day and thankfully they paid six but I'm sure I'd have been second or third if the river had stayed okay. Forty six pounds won the match from peg 40 at Hawksbatch but only twenty-five pounds was needed for top three.

Sunday was a better match for me. I drew peg 34 at Earlswood bream lake and had 37.9.0 of bream for third place. The venue fished really well with forty-seven pounds winning and loads of double figures being recorded. Once again most anglers caught on the worm with chopped worm and caster in the feeder. I also used around half a bottle of the new "Worm Dust" which I'm getting really confident in using.

Disappointment of the week came on Wednesday in the Bewdley midweeker. Despite the river looking good it fished really hard and I could only muster one barbel and a few small chub for around seven pounds from peg 120 in the gulley at Winterdyne. I lost two good barbel in snags but my match was pretty boring to be honest. Only twenty-three pounds won the match, which is poor for this part of the river. A lot of anglers thought dam water was to blame.

This weekend I'm at Earlswood again on Saturday and Edgbaston Reservoir in the team final on Sunday. The worms are ready for action and I'm really looking forward to the matches. See you next weeků